Care Connection Specialty Referral Nurse Coordinator
The Health Alliance for the Uninsured (HAU) is a catalyst for improved health care services
for those who otherwise would be unable to obtain them.
Date Needed: April 2022
Type of Position: Full-Time Exempt; Monday through Friday
Reports to: Executive Director
Education: Nursing and medical background including knowledge of the health care delivery system, limits of practice and broad understanding of disease processes.
Experience: Minimum 5 years nursing or medical background; established relationships with the medical community. Case management experience is a plus.
Description: HAU coordinates diagnostic testing, specialty consults, and surgical care for low-income, uninsured patients in Oklahoma County. Care Connection is a specialty care referral network administered by the Health Alliance for the Uninsured (HAU). It is composed of a dedicated group of health care specialists, local hospitals, and diagnostic facilities that participate in a coordinated effort to provide specialty care to low-income, uninsured members of our community. The HAU Patient Care Coordinator will ensure all patients get the best possible care. They will advocate for the patient while working with medical professionals to provide efficient and respectful coordination of all donated services. They will serve as the primary contact for all providers, manage pledges and work with administrative staff to ensure continuity of care. They will embrace working with diverse populations and have an understanding of issues affecting the low-income population, including the limited healthcare options available to the uninsured.
- Facilitate an efficient process for medical care where providers donate their health care services to patients who meet eligibility requirements through HAU.
- Review medical information to verify the accuracy prior to enrolling patients and scheduling donated care.
- Review electronic medical records and determine best course of action to serve patients.
- Maintain a rotation of providers and ensure donating providers’ commitments are adhered to.
- Ensure all pledges are matched with patient needs and the rotation corresponds with pledges for service.
- Maintain provider and patient database.
- Train and supervise staff.
- Maintain communication with primary care clinics who refer patients through regular contact with administrative staff to ensure efficient referral process for clinic providers, HAU staff, patients and donating providers.
- Utilize all necessary resources such as interpreter services, transportation assistance, medication assistance, lab services, and referrals for additional services.
- Ensure best practices are applied to all procedures: reviewing referral information, adhering to HIPPA regulations, coordinating donated specialty health care and maintaining timely and accurate electronic health records.
- Assist in resolving patient billing issues and reconciling invoices.
- Provide one-on-one attention to each provider and their staff to help them understand the program and processes.
- Ensure consistent guidelines for collaborating partners and enforce adherence to all.
- Contribute to continuous process improvements.
- Strong advocacy skills and a heart for the work of HAU.
- Thorough knowledge of HIPAA.
- Excellent writing, listening and speaking skills.
- Effective customer relations/interpersonal skills
- Considerable knowledge of care management principles.
- Possess a high level of integrity to handle sensitive and confidential information and situations.
- Able to multi-task and remain flexible.
- Ability to organize and interpret data.
- Good judgment, tact, diplomacy and ability to problem solve.
- Ability to think critically and be resourceful.
- Intuitive and forward thinking.
- Able to set and observe appropriate rules and boundaries with clients and providers.
- Possess well-developed decision-making skills.
- Attention to detail with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to excel in a diverse, collaborative team environment.
- Display a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignments.
- Possess excellent time management skills and the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Experience with database management
Benefits include medical, dental, vision and retirement. Salary commensurate with experience. Health Alliance for the Uninsured is an Equal Opportunity Employer, considering applicants fairly on the basis of qualifications, experience and business needs. We value diversity and support an inclusive environment for all employees.