Healthcare Services Navigator
The Health Alliance for the Uninsured (HAU) is a catalyst for improved health care services
for those who otherwise would be unable to obtain them.
Date Needed: May 2021
Type of Position: Full-Time Exempt; Monday through Friday – includes office hours as well as some evenings at the HAU Office and on-site at Safety Net Clinics in Oklahoma City.
Reports to: Executive Director
Education: Medical and/or pharmacy background including knowledge of the health care delivery system and best practices in policies, procedures, and protocols
Experience: Minimum 5 years
Description: The Healthcare Services Navigator will help low-income, uninsured, and underinsured clients navigate central Oklahoma’s complex healthcare referral network. Navigators will facilitate service delivery for Oklahomans seeking basic health, mental health, vision, dental, and women’s health care, and Medicaid enrollment. They will embrace working with diverse populations and understand issues affecting the low-income population, including safety-net clinic operations and services, and the limited healthcare options available to the uninsured. They will help patients determine if they are Medicaid eligible and direct them to enrollment resources. They will utilize their knowledge and expertise to optimize partner Safety Net Clinic resources to improve individual and community health outcomes.
- Represent HAU onsite/coordinate HAU staff at partner clinics to connect patients to available clinic resources.
- Answer Heartline 211 calls/inquiries for healthcare services and answer questions about available community resources.
- Assist uninsured patients in finding a primary care home and/or connect to community partner for services to include women’s health, medical, dental, vision and mental health/addiction.
- Help patients set up appointments for doctor visits and medical tests, and connect them to resources to assist with Medicaid enrollment, and address social determinants of health and barriers to healthcare including high cost of care, inadequate or no insurance coverage, transportation, lack of availability of services and lack of culturally competent care.
- Manage intra-clinic referrals when necessary services are available at other clinics in the network.
- Support patients while they learn to self-navigate the health care system.
- Build and manage relationships with clinic managers and medical providers to best serve patients.
- Ensure best practices are applied to all procedures: adhering to HIPPA regulations, coordinating referral resources, and maintaining timely and accurate electronic records.
- Provide one-on-one attention to each clinic and their staff to help them understand the HAU programs and processes.
- Train and supervise team members.
- Ensure consistent guidelines for collaborating clinics and enforce adherence to all.
- Manage database and track all information for reporting and analytics; maintain reports, spreadsheets, log sheets and forms as necessary.
- Present as requested at community events, for constituents and United Way of Central Oklahoma rallies
- Contribute to continuous process improvements.
- Preferred Bi-lingual (English and Spanish)
- Strong advocacy skills and a heart for HAU programs.
- Thorough knowledge of HIPAA.
- Excellent writing, listening, and speaking skills
- Effective customer relations/interpersonal skills.
- Possess a high level of integrity to handle sensitive, confidential information and situations.
- Ability to organize and interpret data.
- Good judgment, tact, diplomacy, and ability to problem-solve.
- Proficient with computer and related software programs.
- Considerable knowledge of care management principles.
- Ability to think critically and be resourceful.
- Intuitive and forward-thinking.
- Able to set and observe appropriate boundaries with clients and providers.
- Possess well-developed problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Attention to detail with a high level of accuracy.
- Ability to excel in a diverse, collaborative team environment.
- Able to multi-task and remain flexible.
- Display a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment toward completing assignments.
- Possess excellent time management skills and the ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Possess and maintain an Oklahoma driver’s license, a sound driving record, and reliable transportation for local travel.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision and retirement. Salary commensurate with experience. Health Alliance for the Uninsured is an Equal Opportunity Employer, considering applicants fairly on the basis of qualifications, experience and business needs. We value diversity and support an inclusive environment for all employees.